Thursday, September 12, 2013

Try A&W. No, This Isn't a Trick.


When one says the word breakfast, one thinks of two things: food, and A&W. It's true. You might not be even aware that that's what you think, but you do. No, you do. Don't argue with me. Fine then, go start your own blog, and tell the world what you think when you hear the word breakfast... I'm waiting... alright then. May I continue? Thank you.

Anyway, A&W. Canada's favorite and most endeared grease-pit fast food joint actually serves up a pretty decent breakfast. No, I'm not talking about slimy hockey puck sausages slapped between two sides of a stale English muffin (stay tuned for glowing reviews of that in the future). A&W has actually put some thought into their approach to breakfast. While they still serve breakfast sandwiches like their giant fast food brothers, they've made the tactical business decision to keep something that hungover people and senior citizens simply can not resist: a traditional bacon and eggs with toast breakfast.  

I was hesitant, I won't lie.  Fast food place?  Bacon and eggs? So much can go wrong. Actually, no, not really. Bacon and eggs is literally the hardest thing to screw up. You'd have to be really drunk and/or stupid to make bacon and eggs taste bad, and a credit to A&W, they were neither that drunk nor stupid. 

Not bad for a place that makes half their revenue off of Onion Rings.
The breakfast tasted good. The eggs were good. Bacon was good too. Even the toast was good. It was good.  
And so concludes my first breakfast review. I hope you enjoyed, and stay tun- what? Oh... you want detail. Fine.

I ordered my eggs over-easy.  They were over-easy/medium, but I let it slide since there was still enough runny yolk to soak my toast in (get your mind out the gutter, perv). The bacon wasn't crunchy, but it wasn't too soft either. The best part about the bacon was that it tasted exactly like bacon, which is all I really expect of my bacon. The toast was thick sliced brown toast and was buttered to perfection.

This meal, with an orange juice ran me about $7.50, which is a little pricey for what I got. Still though, there are no greasy truck-stop diners around here, so I knew I'd have to pay a little more to get a greasy truck-stop diner breakfast.

A&W makes their own paper plates! Beat that, actual restaurants!
One thing I thought that A&W nailed when it came to this breakfast was the name of it. They call it the 'Bacon and Eggs' breakfast. Brilliant. The bacon wasn't named after a family member, the eggs weren't trying to be my buddies, and the toast wasn't made fun of for being chubby. Just, 'Bacon and Eggs'. Award the employee that talked the company out of naming the meal 'Two Twins, Your Nephews, With a Side of Your Cousin' a promotion.

Would I recommend it? Not to anyone who's got a decent diet going. But if you're like me and way past that point, it's definitely worth a shot. You might disagree with me, but then again, you're probably a really self-centered, pretentious, picky eater who wouldn't touch anything on a paper plate unless you were at a wine mixer. But I digress. Yes, I would recommend it. 

On a scale of one to ten, this really was a solid meal. I wouldn't serve this breakfast at my wedding or anything, but really, I would probably serve this breakfast at my wedding. I think you'd find that you would too if you'd just give it a chance.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I've never actually eaten breakfast at A&W. Every time I get the chance, I always decide to go with McDonald's instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I usually do the same thing. That's why I was so surprised with A&W. It caught me off guard how good it was. And unlike McDonald's, I didn't feel like I was gonna have a stroke after I ate it.

      Delete
  2. What time do they serve breakfast until?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna take a stab and say they serve breakfast until 11:00, but they might stop at 10:30. I'll let you know Monday after I get my sausage n' egger.

      Delete
  3. This was a hilarious read. Good stuff! (Pun not intended.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! A&W has always been my number 1 choice for hangover survival breakfast goodness. I mentioned your blog on RRC Radio this weekend....hopefully you get 2 more followers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hangover survival breakfast goodness: EXACTLY! Thanks for the plug! 2 followers are better than no followers.

      Delete
  5. There's just one thing I will disagree with you on: if you've got any kind of diet going and don't have time to make breakfast yourself (in which case you probably don't have time to sit down at Cora's/Denny's/any other diner), A&W is probably your best bet for a breakfast that won't destroy you. Also, their sausage n' eggers rock! Those have been my go-to staple on the mornings I have early classses scheduled.

    ReplyDelete